Paddy Energy Forced to Pull Offensive Oscar Pistorius Ad by Ad Authority

Paddy E<span id="more-10810"></span>nergy Forced to Pull Offensive Oscar Pistorius Ad by Ad Authority

Following a record range complaints, a Paddy Power ad that featured alleged murderer Oscar Pistorius will be pulled.

After fielding a record 5,200 complaints, Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has been forced to pull an offensive ad from its UK publications, since well to be investigated by the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The ad which many felt at best trivialized the current and ongoing murder trial of Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, and at worst exploited it for profit was ordered down early in the day this week by the ASA after being inundated with input from horrified citizens.

Making Light of Pistorius Murder Trial

The printing advertising which had starred in the UK press recently, in addition to regarding the Paddy energy site and social media feeds offered chances on the results of the trial stating:

‘IT’S OSCAR TIME. MONEY BACK IF HE WALKS. WE WILL REFUND ALL LOSING BETS ON THE OSCAR PISTORIUS TRIAL IF HE IS FOUND never GUILTY.’

Pistorius’ face appeared photoshopped onto an Oscar statuette a reference to the recently aired Academy Awards, which were held in la once the murder test got underway in South Africa. According to over 122,000 signatories of an online petition, however, Pistorius’ girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp’s alleged murder in February 2013 at the fingers of her boyfriend should be no matter that is laughing.

‘a woman that is young been killed,’ said Jean Hatchet, organizer of the change.org petition. ‘There is no doubt that she was killed by this guy, whether or not he intended to kill her.’ The Paddy Power advertisement, she says, is ‘an incredibly awful, callous thing.’

It was said by the ASA would publish its findings and proffer any sanctions in due course. Meanwhile, the organization was clear in its disdain for the message.

‘We consider the ad may be seriously prejudicial towards the general public on the ground regarding the likely further serious and/or widespread offence it may cause,’ noted an ASA-issued statement that had been released by the middle of week. ‘We are also concerned that the reputation that is good of advertising industry may be further damaged by continued publication with this advertising.’

Paddy Power noted that the print campaign was just meant to run in conjunction with the other day’s Oscars anyway, and claimed it only ran once in A uk paper sunday. Although the ASA said the Ireland-based company’s website was out of its jurisdiction, a consider the site by late this week showed no trace of the ad whatsoever, nor any mention of its presence ever. A search of this company’s website’s betting options also revealed no matches for the word ‘Pistorius,’ though whether that indicates the bet is off is anyone’s guess.

Not the Very First Offensive Ad from Paddy Power

Paddy energy with a reputation for this kind of risqué advertising campaign remained defiant, but seemed to totally miss the dimension that is moral telling media: ‘Trial betting in general isn’t a common event, but there is certainly nothing new about gambling on the end result of the absolute most high-profile court cases and they don’t come any more high-profile than this. Given the rolling coverage of this trial, pretty everyone that is much be speaing frankly about it and speculating on the verdict. We’re therefore anticipating a few of our customers to desire to place their cash where their mouth is.’

Hatchet has requested that the profits created from the Pistorius bet should be donated to ladies’ charities, to which Paddy Power retorted: ‘We’re providing wagering on the results of a trial. It is about whether Pistorius is going to be found accountable or not guilty, it’s not a gambling market on domestic physical violence.’

It’s far from the first of several Paddy Power campaigns that deliberately seeks to court controversy.

The company was once forced to pull billboard posters that showed Jesus and the Apostles gambling at the Last Supper. And in 2010, A tv spot that showed a blind soccer player kicking a cat into a tree was the most complained about spot of this year. The decision was additionally built to pull another TV spot that featured transvestites at a race meet, and invited its customers to ‘spot the stallions among the mares’.

Of course, Paddy Power has achieved its real objective once more: to force its brand name into the papers and get people talking about its marketing campaigns. But, at a time when politicians in the united kingdom are questioning the amount of gambling ads on television which they state can easily be viewed by minors, this might be publicity that the gambling industry could do without probably.

Night Junior Middleweight Champ Molina Jailed Before MGM Garden Fight

Current IBF Junior Middleweight champ Carlos Molina during the MGM Grand Garden Arena right back on Sept. 14, 2013. Molina is hoping to be released in time for Saturday’s match against undefeated Jermall Charlo. (Image: Mark Hundley/Las Las Vegas Sun)

UPDATE March 8, 2014: Carlos Molina had not been released from Clark County Detention Center on and the Saturday MGM Grand Garden Arena fight was cancelled friday. It appears the main reason was because theoretically Molina is recognized as an illegal alien and was wanted by immigration officials, despite having lived in the U.S. since age four.

‘He’s not getting away from jail to fight, so we don’t know when he is getting out,’ said Warriors Boxing promoter Leon Margules in a ESPN interview. ‘It’s because of his immigration status. He is an unlawful alien.’

—-

It is a development that has promoters and bookmakers chewing through their nails: Carlos ‘King’ Molina’s planned defense of his IBF junior middleweight globe title battle during the MGM Grand Garden Saturday against undefeated opponent Jermall Charlo may well not go ahead because Molina was still in jail awaiting launch as we went to press on Friday’s weigh-in day.

Arrested on Outstanding Warrants

Molina was arrested shortly after his press meeting at players surfers paradise the MGM Grand earlier in the week on a warrant that is fugitive stemming from a 2007 parole violation for failing to register as a sex offender. In 2002, he ended up being convicted of second-degree assault on a minor in Outgamie, Wisconsin.

Meanwhile, it has also emerged that Appleton, Wisconsin police have a disorderly conduct warrant out for him, dating back once again to 2005.

On Thursday morning, Clark County prosecutor Bart speed agreed to set Molina’s bail at $10,000 with the contract of Wisconsin authorities; however, as Molina’s representatives scrambled to secure his release in time for the bout against challenger Jermall Charlo, he still has to clear an immigration hold (he ended up being created in Mexico, but has lived in america since age four), and currently remains in Clark County Detention Center Las Las vegas’ main holding lockdown for bad boys.

Molina’s promoter, Leon Margules, said: ‘We made an understanding with Wisconsin for the fighter’s release in the sex offender enrollment violation. The immigration problem is a little more complicated. I’m still looking for exactly why Carlos is being held. I’m hopeful we could get it remedied, get him released and acquire him in the ring Saturday. He told me he is holding up well, but he wants to get out and he wishes to fight Saturday.’

Monday Hearing Puts Fight in Doubt

While authorities initially said they expected the boxer to be released in time for the battle, the proven fact that records show that his next hearing has been set for this coming Monday throws that into doubt.

At a press seminar on Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, remained upbeat: ‘I’m waiting to hear from Molina’s people,’ he said thursday. ‘They’re managing all of Molina’s issues. We do not have to make a decision regarding the battle before the weigh-in (Friday). But I am aware Carlos desires to fight. He is very anxious to get within the ring and he’s really fired up.’

However, Schaefer revealed that, should they don’t spring the miscreant champion from his jail cellular, he possesses back-up plan: ‘Just in case, this is for the pay-per-view audience to understand … then we’d, of course, have actually the luxury of moving up Ricardo Alvarez against Thompson towards the pay-per-view card. if that fight does perhaps not happen,’

While people may be covered regardless, it’s a headache that is total the bookmakers, obviously: collectively, millions of dollars in wagers go through their fingers on big Las Vegas battle nights and should this bout fail to materialize those bets might have to be returned.

Meanwhile, Molina’s opponent is wanting to keep a clear head: ‘When I first heard it, I didn’t believe it,’ said Charlo. ‘I thought my trainer [Ronnie Shields] was joking. But we’m going to help keep everything that is doing same way as if we are going to fight. I will stay concentrated. I am going in which to stay form. I’m not going to be distracted.’

Downtown Grand Sued When Man Loses $500K in Alleged Blackout State

52-year-old Mark Johnston from l . a . is suing the Downtown Grand in Las Vegas, after losing $500K wagering on Super Bowl weekend. Johnston claims he ended up being blacked out and don’t understand what he had been doing. (Image: CNN)

Did you do have a rough Super Bowl week-end, wagering-wise? Perhaps you bet regarding the Broncos, or even the blowout took all of the life out of your Super Bowl party. Whatever the case might be, chances are you didn’t have the kind of issues faced by one severe gambler in Las Vegas, whom claims he lost $500,000 over that weekend while he was far too inebriated to know what he had been doing.

Blackout Drunk Continued to Wager

That guy 52-year-old Mark Johnston, from Los Angeles claims that the Downtown Grand in Las vegas, nevada’ Fremont Street area allowed him to gamble while he had been clearly drunk; blackout drunk, in accordance with their own assessment. That lead to him losing half of a million dollars at the pai gow and blackjack tables.

‘I feel just like they picked my pockets,’ said Johnston, a retiree from California. ‘I feel like they took a drunk guy…like a drunk guy walking down the street, and you reach in his pouches and grab all their cash.

‘I am not really a loser that is sore. I’ve lost half a million. I’ve lost 800,000. I’ve lost a complete lot of money. This has nothing in connection with that. Obviously I are able what I lost,’ said Johnston, who nonetheless refuses to classify himself as a ‘whale’ the industry term for the high-roller.

Johnston previously owned A california that is southern car, now owns a Mercedes-Benz worth $250,000; making his modesty regarding his gambling status a tad disingenuous.

He has not blacked out previously, he also claims to have been served 20-30 drinks, making one wonder how he can remember that, but not his gambling play per se although he claims. However the rich aren’t richer because they don’t know how to play hardball, and Johnston is no exception to that rule; he appears happy to play the victim card in this scenario than we are.

‘This is mostly about you nearly killing me. What if I had gone to bed that night, with all those drinks in me personally, and I also threw through to myself and we choked and died?’ Johnston said, with a dramatic flair we can just admire from afar. That being stated, even he fesses up to having had as 10 drinks while planing a trip to Vegas and in the limo before he even hit the gaming floor.

‘ My responsibility is, look, some drinks were had by me during the airport, on the air plane. At some point, that’s my responsibility,’ the gambler stated. ‘The unfortunate part than I really do. about it for them is, they have a bigger duty’

Based on Johnston’s lawyer Sean Lyttle, The Grand is countersuing in an attempt to collect their client’s debts; although other media sources have reported that the casino has agreed to settle at a 20 percent discount $400K but that Johnston refuses to go that path. Meanwhile, Johnston has placed a stop-payment order in the debt payments The Grand ended up being trying to collect, and is also suing them for damaging their reputation.

Nevada Law Sets Onus on Casinos

It ends up that per Nevada law casinos are, in fact, prohibited from allowing visibly drunk gamblers from continuing to wager money. They are also supposed to take off the free beverages after they can tell someone has had one a lot of. The area that is grey can be who determines what comprises just how many, and by what criteria. After all, if Johnston was able to place wagers also in a blackout state, he might be in as he claims how was the casino to know what impaired state?

Nevertheless, regulatory authorities are using the instance quite seriously. So whilst The Grand will not comment on pending litigation, Nevada’s Gaming Control Board is reportedly investigating the full case one that Lyttle says is quite unusual.

‘It’s certainly a case that is extraordinary’ Lyttle stated. ‘ This is not a whole story that I’ve ever heard before, where someone was blackout intoxicated where they couldn’t read their cards, and yet a casino continued to serve them beverages and issue them more markers. It’s an extremely heavy-handed and uncommon approach that we haven’t seen in this town in quite a while.’

According to Johnston, he is a normal in nevada and was invited to The Grand for Super Bowl weekend together with his girlfriend, though he mostly gambled on his own. His lawsuit alleges that The Grand provided him dozens of free drinks that he didn’t realize how much he had lost until Sunday after he had already been drinking at dinner, and.

While Johnston lost big over Super Bowl weekend, he was not the only one. With most of the general public money in the Broncos, the Nevada sportsbooks won almost $20 million from gamblers in the NFL’s championship game this year following a record level of betting.